Crystal rollers have been the best-kept secret of beauty experts for many years. It wasn’t until recently that they have increased in popularity, thanks to celebrities of the likes of Khloe Kardashian and beauty superinfluencers such as Marianna Hewitt, who swear by it.
After all the buzzwave, you likely got one of these pretty pink gadgets yourself. If you happened to be living under a rock for the past couple of years — and haven’t heard of this trend yet — you should consider adding a rose quartz roller to your beauty regimen. Why? Whether you believe in the power of crystal healing or not, there is a lot to be said about its benefits. When used correctly, it can be a powerful anti-aging tool.
But does it actually work?
I must admit, when this trend first got started, I was a little skeptical. I was pushing back on the idea of getting one for as long as I could. However, I’m a curious person by nature, and I’m always willing to try something new even if it’s just for kicks. But before doing so, I did my own due diligence, and as it turns out, yes, it does work. So I finally gave in and decided to purchase one to give it a test-drive. While doing my homework, I also found out crystal rollers have a history that I found quite interesting.
Dating back to the 7th century, crystal rollers were commonly used in the beauty rituals of Chinese royalty. Jade was their crystal of choice — you’ve probably seen one of those as well — they have this beautiful green minty color. Traditionally, they were used to flatten wrinkles on the face and clear fluid congestion. But later was also believed to be a healing aid and to help improve circulation.
Egyptian royalty was no stranger to the power of crystal rollers either. Their crystal of choice was rose quartz. This beautiful crystal of pink color commonly referred to as the “love stone” for its strong vibrations of unconditional love and healing. It was believed that rose quartz helped improve the appearance of fine lines, signs of aging and release muscle tension.
Aside from helping with the appearance of wrinkles rose quartz also gives you a more radiant complexion and because is full of minerals it can help reduce inflammation and support the renewal of skin cells.
There are many other types of rollers made from different crystals. Some of the other ones include amethyst, black obsidian, clear quartz, tourmaline, and the list goes on. Each crystal has its own specific properties. However, the most common (and affordable) are jade and rose quartz. The one we are going to focus on here is the rose quartz.
What is the correct way to use a rose quartz roller?
There are two ways you can use it for:
- detoxifying and/or
For this purpose, you massage your face and neck to help drain the lymphatic system.
- Start at the base of your neck. Gently roll in a downward motion from ear to the clavicle. Repeat 3x then move to the next section, working across your neck from the ear to the centerline.
- Then from your chin, roll towards your hairline. Repeat it 3X on each side. At the end of your third time toward the hairline, drain the lymph by rolling down the side of the face toward the clavicle once. Continue this pattern, rolling horizontally across the face 3x then draining once down perpendicular to your previous movement, as you work your way up the face.
- Next, with the small end of your roller, roll 3x from the nose toward the end of the brow. On the last roll, finish by drawing down the side of the face to the clavicle. Repeat these movements just under the eyebrow.
- Lastly, from the center of the forehead roll toward the side of the face 3 X draining down to the clavicle on the last pass. Repeat this moving up the forehead. Again, do equal amounts on both sides.
Now, onto the next part:
For this purpose, it helps to put your roller in the freezer for 30 mins to 1 hour prior to use. This will guarantee optimal results.
- Applying medium to firm pressure, start from the neck upwards to the jawline when you get to the jawline give it a flick.
- Next, roll from the center of your chin to your ear starting under your jaw.
- On the forehead, roll from the brow towards your hairline.
- Do as many repetitions as you like on both sides.
Whichever crystal you end up choosing, the final results will be somewhat similar. The main purpose of crystal rollers is to stimulate lymphatic drainage from the skin to muscle tissue and to help stimulate oxygen flow to the skin. This will improve skin complexion over time.
Make sure you clean your roller well before and after use. To clean it up, you can simply wipe it down with a clean cloth. You can also submerge in water and pat dry it afterward. If you’re looking for a more spiritual cleanse, you can use salt water, or leave it in sea salt overnight to rid of the negative energy so it doesn’t transfer back to the skin.
For even better results, it’s advisable to use your roller with your favorite serum, cream or moisturizer. The rolling massages the skin thus activating blood circulation and this will help with the absorption of the products.
I use my rose quartz roller every other day with my nightly routine, and I really like the results so far. You can use it as often or as little as you’d like. Twice a week seems to be the consensus among experts.
Have you used a rose quartz roller yet?